As winter's chill sets in, there's nothing more comforting than a steaming bowl of soup to warm both body and soul. Our "Warmth and Spice: Anasazi Bean and Ham Hocks featuring Mexene Chili Powder" recipe is the perfect remedy for those cold days. With the robust flavors of Anasazi beans, succulent ham hocks, and a touch of chili powder, this soup promises to delight your taste buds and keep you cozy all season long.
2. Ingredients You'll Need
- 1 lb dried Anasazi beans, soaked overnight
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons Texana extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexene chili powder (adjust according to your spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
3. Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions
3.1. Sautéing Vegetables
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, minced garlic, and diced red bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables become soft and fragrant.
3.2. Adding Beans and Ham Hocks
- Add the soaked Anasazi beans and ham hocks to the pot. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth until the ingredients are fully submerged.
3.3. Seasoning with Spices
- Stir in ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and the bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
3.4. Simmering to Perfection
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for about 2 to 2.5 hours, or until the beans are tender and the ham hocks are fully cooked and falling off the bone.
3.5. Shredding Ham Hocks and Final Touches
- Remove the ham hocks from the pot and shred the meat using two forks. Discard any bones, fat, or skin. Return the shredded ham hock meat back into the soup.
4. Serving Suggestions
- Accompany the soup with warm crusty bread or cornbread for a satisfying meal.
- For an extra burst of freshness, serve with a side of pico de gallo or your favorite salsa.
With its comforting blend of Anasazi beans, tender ham hocks, and the gentle warmth of chili powder, this "Warmth and Spice: Anasazi Bean and Ham Hocks featuring Chili Powder" soup is an ideal winter companion. Whether you're enjoying it alone by the fireplace or sharing it with loved ones, this flavorful and hearty soup will surely bring joy to your winter days.